Built in circa 1450 the ancient manor house would have originally been the centre of the local farming community. The Manoir was enlarged with a new front in 1650, the original stone fireplaces and panelled rooms are still part of the interior.
Manoir de la Baudriere continued to be a central figure within the local farming community until it unfortunately fell into ruin during World War 2.
From then on the Manoir was left untouched. The cattle were in what is now the living room and the local farmer was living in the kitchen.
However in the 1990’s the current owners stumbled across the Manoir, immediately falling in love with its rustic charm. Over a number of years the owners have painstakingly restored the Manoir, completely refurbishing the property adding many home comforts including necessities such as central heating!
Manoir de la Baudriere’s original out-buildings and barns are still standing and are a wonderful snapshot of French rural history. The Manoir is within the boundary of the Appellation Calvados Controlee, in the Pays D’Auge, who control the production of Calvados. One of the barns still has the original apple press used for the production of local Cidre and Calvados.
Additionally Manoir de la Baudriere is right in the main horse stud area with the French national stud of Haras du pin only 20 mins drive away. Incidentally this is where the 2014 World Equestrian Championships are being held.
The Manoir is only 1 hours drive from the long sandy beaches at Cabourg, Villers sur Mer and Deaville.
It is in the centre of cheese making and Calvados country. Visits can be made to the cheese factories at Camembert and Livarot, and Calvados can be tasted at many local small producers.
Nearby is the museum and memorial at Mont-Ormel which overlooks the valley where the Battle of Normandy took place in 1944.